Browse Items (60 total)

74.771.910 300 dpi pg1.jpg
Certificate of four shares of the Winnebago County Agricultural Society, held by C.I. Horsman.

74.771.828 300 dpi pg2.jpg
Seed list grown and offered by George S. Haskell and Company, 112-114 Main Street.

74.771.696 300 dpi.jpg
Bill of sale to Mrs. C.I. Horsman from George S. Haskell and Company, Seed Farmers and Merchants, 112-116 Main Street.

74.771.606 300 dpi pg1.jpg
Bill of sale to C.I. Horsman from George S. Haskell and Company, Flower, Field and Garden Seeds, 112-114 North Main Street.

74.771.425 300 dpi pg1.jpg
Invoice to C.I. Horsman from G.V. Orton for drilling a well at the farm.

2011.61.52 96 dpi wm.jpg
Bengt Nelson Farm possibly located at 2107 East State Street. Myrtle (born in 1899) is at the left with five children standing at right.

2011.9.70 96 dpi wm.jpg
The Thomas Garrett homestead in 1943, located at North Mulford Road. The Garrett family were early pioneers in Rockford acquiring the farm in 1841. St. Mark Lutheran Church purchased the Garrett farm July 1961. Members of the church congregation…

79.148.29 96 dpi wm.jpg
Edward Easton farm on the south side of Harlem Road. The house is plain with decorative elements focused on the porches.

79.148.17 96 dpi wm.jpg
The farm of David W. and Emma Evans located at 7515-7519 North Second Street. The house is a simple two-story with a front gable roof. The small porch that is an elongated roof over the front door and supported by posts. A barn directly behind the…

79.148.15 96 dpi wm.jpg
The farm of David W. and Emma Evans located at 7515-7519 North Second Street. The house is symmetrical with the size and position of windows mirrored on the opposite side. The back door of the house is covered by an extended roof and appears to be…

94.2.11z  96dpi wm.jpg
View of a road along the edge of a field with a log cabin in the background. Possibly Blackhawk Park.

93.49.3b   96dpi wm.jpg
Workers on the Orville P. Thomas farm operate a threshing machine. The Thomas Farm was in Owen Township, north of Rockford.

93.49.2   96dpi wm.jpg
John Thomas, center, with horses, barn and car built in the early 1900s. Another man is holding two horses and a boy is seated on the running board of the car.

93.49.1 96 dpi wm.jpg
Mr. & Mrs. Orville P. Thomas and their son John at their farmhouse in Owen Township, north of Rockford.

93.104.5   96dpi wm.jpg
People, possibly the farm family, are posed in front of an unidentified barn. A man and woman are seated in a buggy while another buggy holds a girl seated and boy standing. A man and a woman stand with a horse and pony.

91.84.44b   96dpi wm.jpg
A horse drawn carriage with two women is in a newly cut hay field with bundles of hay in rows.

91.84.44a   96dpi wm.jpg
Men posing with teams of horses hitched to harvester reaper equipment.

91.84.41a  96dpi wm.jpg
Stalker farm. A man and woman are in front of the house. The house is located west of Stillman Valley, Illinois. The man and woman are probably Walter L. and Charlotte Cardine Gates Stalker.

87.70.3  96dpi wm.jpg
House and barns at the far end of Spring Brook Road on north side.

85.109I.905.120   96dpi wm.jpg
A Big Four prairie tractor pulling equipment in a field. The Gas Traction Company, headquartered in Minneapolis, launched the Big Four tractor in 1910 and it became one of the earliest successful tractor brands. The Big Four, named for its…

85.109I.905.1  96dpi wm.jpg
Sheep in a farm yard with farm buildings at the left and right

85.109I.879  96dpi wm.jpg
A bridge in winter. Farm buildings are in the background. The barn has a hay hood at the right which is a peaked extension of the gable roof. The hay hood is a feature in prairie or Western barns built in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The hay hood…

85.109I.877   96dpi wm.jpg
Steam tractor in a ditch. The large drive wheel on the side was used with a belt to power the thresher machine that is behind the tractor. Possibly an early Rumely tractor.

85.109I.800  96dpi wm.jpg
Entrance to Schifferer farm.

85.109I.755  96dpi wm.jpg
A farm in winter on Rural Route 3, which became Spring Creek Road circa 1923.

84.13.7  96dpi wm.jpg
Breckenridge family farm. South east view from Mulford Road showing the new garage that was built in 1924.

84.13.3  96dpi wm.jpg
Breckenridge family farm. North view at Spring Brook Road showing part of the garage between the house and the horse barn. The garage was built in 1924.

83.45.101  96dpi wm.jpg
Threshing Bee. A steam engine is in the foreground. Horses pulled the portable steam engine to the field where it operated as the power source for the thresher. The two machines were connected with the long drive belt.

79.148.7  96dpi wm.jpg
Harlem, Illinois stock yards.

79.148.16  96dpi wm.jpg
D. W. Evan's River View Farm in the snow. Located at 7515-7519 North Second Street.

79-148-14  96dpi478.jpg
D. W. Evans in his oat field. His farm was located in Harlem Township at 7515-7519 North Second Street.

79.144.22  96dpi wm.jpg
Bottom view of a windmill. Farm buildings are in the background. Writing on the back of the photograph says " Sanitorium is now located in back of the windmill - windmill gone." It is unknown if this was the Rockford Municipal Sanitarium that was at…

79.144.20  96dpi wm.jpg
Cows in pasture at the Charles Larson farm, Roscoe, Illinois.

76.60.3   96dpi wm.jpg
Horse drawn threshing machine, circa 1880s. Being made of wood indicates that it is an early model of a thresher. The development of threshers was reliant on the availablity of power to run the machines. Horses pulled this machine to a field where…

76.179.2   96dpi wm.jpg
The Holdridge Farm in Winnebago County. William Holdridge moved his family to this farm in 1905. It covered an area from Clifford Avenue south to River Park Road; it went west from North Second Street. The Holdridges sold the farm to Fred Burr in…

76.179.1  96dpi wm.jpg
The Holdridge Farm in Winnebago County. William Holdridge moved his family to this farm in 1905. It covered an area from Clifford Avenue south to River Park Road; it went west from North Second Street. The Holdridges sold the farm to Fred Burr in…

76.108.33  96dpi wm.jpg
An unidentified man is at a water hand pump at the Central Park Addition garden, Rockford, Illinois.

75.20.4  96dpi wm.jpg
An unidentified man and woman pose in front of a barn. Possibly the Lake family in the Bell School Road area. The man is standing near a cow. The woman stands next to an unsaddled horse. A three-horse team hitched to a wagon is positioned between…

75.20.3   96dpi wm.jpg
Unidentified man standing with a herd of cattle. Possibly Lake family farm in the Bell School Road area.

75.20.1   96dpi wm.jpg
A barn and silo with crop fields in the foreground. Possibly the Lake family farm in the Bell School Road area.

74.8.8   96dpi wm.jpg
John P. Manny Mower Company located on Race Street in the Rockford Water Power District. In the 1850s the John P. Manny Company manufactured the knife sections for the reapers produced by John H. Manny and the Manny Reaper. In the 1860s John P. Manny…

74.657.32g   96dpi wm.jpg
Grain elevator at Harlem Township, Winnebago County, Illinois

74.657.32c   96dpi wm.jpg
Two horse-drawn buggies sit in front of the creamery on Harlem Road in Harlem Township, Winnebago County, Illinois. One of the buggies is loaded with cream cans used to haul milk or cream from the farm to a local creamery to be made into various…

74.657.30d  96dpi wm.jpg
Steam engine used to power a threshing machine in the field. Note the large belt at the right. This belt was attached to the thresher machine.

74.657.27   96dpi wm.jpg
An unidentified farm house possibly in Harlem Township.

74.595.117  96dpi wm.jpg
Cows grazing near a river.

74.527.115b  96dpi wm.jpg
An Avery tractor, the first internal combustion tractor used on Guilford Township roads. Photo was taken on Guilford Road east of Mulford Road. The tractor is pulling a road grader.

2008.19.133b  96dpi wm.jpg
Aerial view of Willwood Cemetery, established in 1921 and dedicated September 24, 1923 on West State Road, which later became 7000 West State Street. It is surrounded by farms and fields.

2007.67.1  96dpi wm.jpg
Kuharske residence and Spring Creek Dairy Farm on Spring Creek Road. In 1915, the farm and home, owned by Edward and Edith Kuharske, is on Rural Route 3, which became Spring Creek Road circa 1922. Edith was the niece of Grover Cleveland (his…

2007.1.38  96dpi wm.jpg
Kelly Farm on East State Street near the Perryville Road intersection. In 2007 this site was occupied by Lowe's Hardware.

2006.75.7   96dpi wm.jpg
A horse-drawn milk cart and four individuals covered with an umbrella advertising Tower Surface Cultivators. The wagon is filled with cream cans used to haul milk or cream from the farm to a local creamery to be made into various dairy products. The…

2000.33.4  96dpi wm.jpg
Two teams of horses pulling farming equipment across field, possibly grain harvesters. Three men and one woman are standing near the horse teams. Handwritten on back: "Lloyd's team - Billy, Barney, Billy Sunday, Dick. Luthor team - Dewey, May,…

2000.33.2  96dpi wm.jpg
Two women on a wagon plow pulled by two teams of horses. An unidentified man is walking beside the farm implement. The horses have a white covering that drapes over their backs and has holes for their ears. This is likely protective covering during…

2000.33.1  96dpi wm.jpg
Farm scene with a corn crib at left, windmill in the center and a barn at right. A farm implement that is possibly a hay baler is near the barn.

2000.18.5  96dpi wm.jpg
Spearing Family Farm buildings. According to the donor, this was the only maple sugar producing farm in Winnebago County. The Spearing family owned the farm from 1926-1950s.

2000.18.4  96dpi wm.jpg
Maple sugar farm sugar shack at the Spearing Farm where sap is boiled down. According to the donor, this was the only maple sugar producing farm in Winnebago County, and the Spearing family owned the farm from 1926-1950s. The grove contains over 200…

2000.18.3  96dpi wm.jpg
Aerial view of East State Street and the Spearing sugar farm, six miles north west of Belvidere. According to the donor, this was the only maple sugar producing farm in Winnebago County, and the Spearing family owned the farm from 1926-1950s.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2