Rockford Memorial Hospital, Serving the Community

2009.50.6 96 dpi wm.jpg

Title

Rockford Memorial Hospital, Serving the Community

Description

Aerial view looking north. Rockford Hospital, located at 2400 North Rockton Avenue, is in the center. North Rockton Avenue is at the right. Rockford Hospital, the city's first hospital, opened in 1855 in a made-over home on South Court and Chestnut Streets. By 1913 a larger facility was built and in 1942 the name changed to Rockford Memorial Hospital. This original location served the community until July 1954 when a new hospital was built at 2400 North Rockton Avenue. October 23, 2014 Rockford Health System and Mercy Health System merged. The newly named Mercy health Rockton Avenue Campus and Javon Bea Hospital continues to serve the community. Urban development continued in 2019 as houses along Lawndale Avenue were demolished for hospital expansion.

Date

circa 1960s

Rights

Midway Village Museum

Type

Still Image

Identifier

2009.50.6

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

8" x 10"

Citation

“Rockford Memorial Hospital, Serving the Community,” Midway Village Museum - Digital Collections, accessed October 16, 2021, https://midwayvillagemuseumdigitalcollections.omeka.net/items/show/4488.

Social Bookmarking