First Baptist Church of Rockford, Illinois

90.44.2d 96 dpi wm.jpg

Title

First Baptist Church of Rockford, Illinois

Description

The First Baptist Society was established in Rockford December 22, 1838. The congregation met in a hall of Dr. George Haskell's store building which was on the northwest corner of West State and North Main Streets. In 1840, a frame meeting house was built near Main Street facing east. The congregation grew in 1849 and a new stone church was built on the corner of Church and Mulberry streets, 126 North Church Street, where they worshipped 1850 - 1919. In 1919, the name changed to First Baptist Church of Rockford, Illinois. In 1920 a new church was built at North Court Street.

Date

circa 1850

Rights

Midway Village Museum

Format

jpeg

Type

Still Image

Identifier

90.44.2d

Original Format

Illustration

Physical Dimensions

7.5" x 5"

Citation

“First Baptist Church of Rockford, Illinois,” Midway Village Museum - Digital Collections, accessed June 19, 2021, https://midwayvillagemuseumdigitalcollections.omeka.net/items/show/3953.

Social Bookmarking