Mr. T.J.M.S. poses in his automobile. Before 1908, almost every car built in the United States had the steering wheel located at the right side of the automobile, following the practice of horse drawn carriages. When the Ford Motor Company launched their Model T in 1908, they changed the location of the steering wheel to the left side to make it easier for passengers to get into the car and avoid oncoming traffic.
circa 1900 - 1908
Midway Village Museum
4" x 3"
“Automobile Steering,” Midway Village Museum - Digital Collections, accessed September 19, 2021, https://midwayvillagemuseumdigitalcollections.omeka.net/items/show/3686.