Rockford City Railway Co. Electric Car

88.122.751 96 dpi watermarked.jpg

Title

Rockford City Railway Co. Electric Car

Description

A Rockford City Railway Company electric car that served the Church Street and Harlem Avenue route is stopped with the motormen posing for a photograph. In 1881 the Rockford Street Railroad Company started with horse-drawn vehicles, switching to electric cars in 1889. The company was acquired by the Rockford City Railway Company in 1890, which was in turn acquired by the Rockford Railway Light & Power Company in 1891. The Rockford Interurban service started in 1902 with a route between Rockford and Belvidere. This photograph may have been taken at the same time as photo 88.122.730.

Date

circa 1890 - 1898

Rights

Midway Village Museum

Format

jpeg

Type

Still Image

Identifier

88.122.751

Original Format

Glass Plate Negative

Physical Dimensions

8" x 10"

Citation

“Rockford City Railway Co. Electric Car,” Midway Village Museum - Digital Collections, accessed July 27, 2021, https://midwayvillagemuseumdigitalcollections.omeka.net/items/show/1248.

Social Bookmarking