Browse Items (56 total)

74.771.487 300 dpi.jpg
Bill of sale to C.I. Horsman from Newton Crawford. Includes charges for stone work, a donation to a church, roof work on Sanford's Store and work on the bank.

74.771.326 300 dpi pg1.jpg
List of names of those pledged to buy the G.G. Lyons place on Church Street for Pastor Thomas Kerr. Kerr served the Church of the Christian Union from 1870-1900.

2012.66.1193 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Rockford College chapel in June 1969.

2012.66.1098 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Trinity Lutheran Church, 200 North 1st Street.

2012.66.1026 300dpi 4x6.jpg
The intersection of Kishwaukee Street and Harrison Avenue. Bethel Baptist Church is on the left on the Northeast corner. To the right is Rockford Products.

2012.66.1018 300dpi 4x6.jpg
View from the top of Rockford City Hall, looking south along 2nd Street at Walnut Street. Centennial United Methodist Church is in the center of the photo.

2012.66.741 300dpi 4x6.jpg
The First Mexican Baptist Church at 2121 West Jefferson Street in Northwest Rockford.

2012.66.567 300dpi 4x6.jpg
607 Walnut Street, originally First Congregational Church, the building was also used as the Rockford Masonic Cathedral. It burned to the ground in September 2020.

2012.66.427 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Downtown, looking southeast from the roof of Rockford City Hall at 425 East State Street. The church building was built as First Congregational Church at 607 Walnut Street. This church burned to the ground in September 2020.

2012.66.426 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Downtown, looking northwest from the roof of Rockford City Hall at 425 East State Street. The church in foreground is Trinity Lutheran Church at 200 North 1st Street.

2012.66.120 300dpi 4x6.jpg
2700 block of West State Street looking west-northwest from the southwest corner of Day Avenue and West State Street. Handyman's Hardware, dentist Dr. Robert Ross-Shannon, and the vacant building that was First Church of the Brethren are visible.

2012.66.93 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 920 Third Avenue, looking east towards South Sixth Street

2012.66.92 300dpi 4x6.jpg
SS. Peter and Paul Church, 617 Lincoln Avenue.

2012.66.91 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Vacant church at 2717 West State Street. Built in the 1920s as First Church of the Brethren. Aerial photo from 2014 shows that this building has been torn down.

2012.66.89 300dpi 4x6.jpg
West Side Assembly of God. 2011 West State Street.

2012.66.88 300dpi 4x6.jpg
St. Patrick's Catholic Church. 2505 School Street.

2012.66.87 300dpi 4x6.jpg
St. Luke's Church of God in Christ. 2425 West Jefferson Street.

2012.66.86 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Bethesda Evangelical Covenant Church. 118 Washington Street and 2101 East State Street.

2012.66.85 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Broadway Methodist Church. 1503 Broadway.

2012.66.84 300dpi 4x6.jpg
SS. Peter and Paul Church. 617 Lincoln Avenue.

2012.66.83 300dpi 4x6.jpg
SS. Peter and Paul Church. 617 Lincoln Avenue.

2012.66.82 300dpi 4x6.jpg
St. Anthony's Catholic Church. 1010 Ferguson Street.

2012.66.81 300dpi 4x6.jpg
St. Anthony's Catholic Church. 1010 Ferguson Street.

2012.66.80 300dpi 4x6.jpg
St. Anthony's Catholic Church. 1010 Ferguson Street.

2012.66.79 300dpi 4x6.jpg
St. Anthony's Catholic Church. 1010 Ferguson Street.

2012.66.78 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Grace United Methodist Church. 1401 West State Street. Later became House of Refuge.

2012.66.77 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Zion Lutheran Church. 925 5th Avenue.

2012.66.76 300dpi 4x6.jpg
Zion Lutheran Church. 925 5th Avenue.

2016.67.60 96 dpi wm.jpg
Second Congregational Church located at 318 North Church Street.

2016.18.2 96 dpi wm.jpg
The Gospel Male Chorus of Swedish Mission Tabernacle Covenant Church, located at Kishwaukee Street and Third Avenue .

2016.18.1 96 dpi wm.jpg
Mission Tabernacle Church's Young Peoples Society posed in front of the church, located at 330 Kishwaukee Street. Swedish immigrants organized the Mission Tabernacle Church June 1, 1875 under the name of Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Mission Society.…

2013.66.35 96 dpi wm.jpg
Looking west at First Presbyterian Church, located at 406 North Main Street. The church was formed in 1854. A simple building called the "Little Brown Church" was used until a permanent building was built in 1862 on West State Street. A larger…

2013.66.33b 96 dpi wm.jpg
The 1966 confirmation class at Court Street Methodist Church, located at 215 North Court Street.

2013.66.30a 96 dpi wm.jpg
Looking east at Court Street Methodist Church, located at 205-213 North Court Street. North Court Street is left to right between the church and the parking lot.

2010.73.20 96 dpi wm.jpg
The choir at the State Street Baptist Church, located at 1135 East State Street. The Pastor, Reverend Mahlon M. Day is seated at the front.

2012.32.1 96 dpi wm.jpg
Three generations of women in Girl Scout uniforms; L to R, Ann Stewart, Louise "Johnnie" Schulz Stewart, Annette Shoudy Stewart. This Girl Scout troop was affiliated with the Unitarian Church. The church was founded in 1841 by early first settlers to…

2010.73.19 96 dpi wm.jpg
Appears to be the choir inside the State Street Baptist Church, located at 1135 East State Street. They appear to be in the choir loft with the organ pipes behind them. In front is the organist at the organ and the Reverend Mahlon M. Day at the…

2010.73.18 96 dpi wm.jpg
Appears to be the choir standing on the steps of the State Street Baptist Church, located at 1135 East State Street. The men stand behind the women, who are all in white dresses. The Reverend Mahlon M. Day is in front with his arms crossed.

2009.1.2 96 dpi wm.jpg
"79th Illinois Swedish Baptist Conference May 22-23, 1935, Rockford, Ill." Hosted by First Swedish Baptist Church, 530 8th Street. In 1939 First Swedish Baptist changed its name to Temple Baptist Church.

2007.32.4 96 dpi wm.jpg
Looking north along North Church Street. In 1908, J.B. Ralston & Son Hardware is located at 122 North Church Street, the First Baptist Church at 126 North Church Street and further north at 324 North Church Street is Second Congregational Church.

2007.32.2 96 dpi wm.jpg
Looking east across North Court Street at the Court Street Methodist Episcopal Church located at 215 North Court Street. Jefferson Street is at the left lower corner diagonally to the center.

96.44.34f 96 dpi wm.jpg
Winnebago United Methodist Church located at 213 South Elida Street, Winnebago, Illinois. In 1888 the Congregational Church sold their building to the United Methodist Church.

91.2.26 96 dpi wm.jpg
The Sanctuary at First Lutheran Church, located at 225 South Third Street. First Lutheran was organized January 15, 1854 with the first church at the corner of North First Street and Lafayette Avenue. The current building was built in 1883.

90.44.2t 96 dpi wm.jpg
View of West State Street from Church Street. Court Street Methodist Church is at the right. The Second Methodist Episcopal Church was organized January 1852. Construction on a west side church started in 1853 on a lot on the west side of Court…

90.44.2p 96 dpi wm.jpg
First Methodist Church built in 1846 at 2019 South Second Street, where the Centennial United Methodist Church now stands.

90.44.2e 96 dpi cropped wm.jpg
First Congregational Church built by Germanicus Kent and George W. Brinkerhoff on the southwest corner of South Church and Green Streets in 1838. The Second Congregational Church was organized in 1849, and used the original building 1849 - 1858.

90.44.2d 96 dpi wm.jpg
The First Baptist Society was established in Rockford December 22, 1838. The congregation met in a hall of Dr. George Haskell's store building which was on the northwest corner of West State and North Main Streets. In 1840, a frame meeting house was…

88.1.131 96 dpi wm.jpg
State Street Baptist Church located at 1135 East State Street, at the junction with Third and Kishwaukee Streets. A horse is at a water trough. The Norman Clark Flour and Feed is at right.

87.17.2 96 dpi wm.jpg
First Presbyterian Church, located at 406 North Main Street. The church was formed in 1854. A simple building called the "Little Brown Church" was used until a permanent building was built in 1862 on West State Street. A larger building was dedicated…

85.109(I).875 96 dpi wm.jpg
An unidentified church, believed to be in Rockford. The steeple is made of wood and the spire is shingled. "Steeple" is an architectural term for a tall tower on a building that is topped with a spire and often includes a belfry. Steeples are common…

79.148.5 96 dpi wm.jpg
Plans started in 1845 to organize a Methodist church in Harlem Township with services taking place in a one-room schoolhouse. Education and worship were important to this farming community. In 1871, a church was built at 8509 North Alpine Road.

77.107.36 96 dpi wm.jpg
The Choir at the State Street Baptist Church, located at 1135 East State Street. The Pastor, Reverend Mahlon M. Day, is seated at the front.

74.657.30c 96 dpi wm.jpg
Harlem Methodist Church. The church began in 1845 with services in a one-room schoolhouse in Harlem Township. In 1871, a church was built at 8509 North Alpine Road, with an adjacent cemetery.

74.584.143 96 dpi wm.jpg
Reverend John F. Reagan conducting Christmas mass and Holy Communion to 550 on the USS Prairie somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. John Reagan served as an Associate Pastor at St. Patrick Parish 1946 - 1950 and Pastor 1957 - 1960. St. Patrick Parish was…

88.122.644 96 dpi watermarked.jpg
This photograph displays a large interior, two-level seating space with platform/stage that appears to be a church. Two large banners hang from the second level: Stars and Stripes that proclaim" Welcome" and "Jesus Our Shepherd" underneath. The name…

88.122.598 96 dpi watermarked.jpg
A large crowd gathers in horse-drawn buggies for a foundation/cornerstone laying ceremony and dedication. The crowd on the dais is arrayed in vestments denoting a choir and church officials. It is unclear which church cornerstone this group is…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2