Business Exteriors, 20th Century, Rockford, Illinois
Business Exteriors, 20th Century, Rockford, Illinois
A collection of photographs depicting business exteriors within the Rockford, Illinois area in the twentieth century. The majority of the scenes fall between 1920 and 1970.
Black and white photograph of Ahlstrand's Meat Market storefront, located at 102 7th Street.The man in the picture could be Julius Ahlstrand, son of the proprietor, Carl August Ahlstrand, born October 18, 1861 in Skovelz, Sweden, who came to Rockford…
Photograph depicting the construction of the Jefferson Street Bridge, showing housetops to the right and workers to the left.
A black and white photograph showing the Carlson Motor Company showroom at night, located at 1135-1137 Charles Street, promoting the Oakland "6" and the Pontiac "6."
View of the imposing library building in the downtown district on the west side of the Rock River.
Six men (five in company uniforms and one in business suit and overcoat) and one woman stand in front of Richard's Moving, Storing, and Shipping Warehouse at 112-120 Court Place. Several moving trucks are also in front of the building.
A photograph of the Samuel E. Levi Greenhouse located on Island Avenue in southwest Rockford. A woman and a small girl are in a greenhouse doorway while a man stands outside, and two other men are by a horse-drawn wagon in front of a two-story house.…
Black and white photograph showing the north side of West State Street, just west of the Rock River across the State Street Bridge. Businesses depicted (left to right) include the Palm Theater (marquee reads "Dick Barthelness in Shore Leave"), the…
Side view of the Thomas Grocery Store, 2002 Broadway, at the corner of Broadway and Woodruff Avenue, near the Broadway viaduct. For an additional view, see photo 99.16.3a.
Peter Thomas Groceries at 2002 Broadway appears to be in a wilderness as well as caught in the midst of a fast-changing world: the sidewalks are cement but the street is dirt; horse dung lays in the road and a buggy stands beside the building, but a…
A man poses with two little girls and a dog outside a storefront next to a home in what looks like a wide-open expanse at 1305 8th Street. Signs advertise the sale of tobacco products and proclaim that the dry goods store is also an agent for…
Black and white photograph of Harold's at 571 W. State Street.
This little house-looking structure by the railroad crossing at Spring Creek and N. 2nd is the N. T. Libby Company (Northtown Lumber).
A very small looking structure seems to house the Rockford Lumber and Fuel Company while a larger building looms to the right. The business is listed as being at 201 E. State Street at this time (1900). For a later depiction of this company, see…
A photograph showing a scaffold in front of Beale's Jewelry store at 406 E. State Street.
Depiction of the stately and columned American Insurance Company at 302 N. Main Street in Rockford's downtown district. For an additional view, see photo 2010.73.13..
The marquee of the Orpheum Theater, 118 N. Main Street, advertises, "Lew Fuller in The Beauty Shop." A man stands within the box office entrance, and a horse-drawn buggy is near an ornate street lamp. The theater was torn down between 1936 and 1937,…
This black and white photograph depicts Mapes Brothers, 315 S. Main Street, offering "practical plumbing, gas fitting, sewer and repair work." A man in overalls poses in the doorway, and a scale stands outside the storefront on the left.
Several people are outside the Ingrassia Cash Grocery store at 1130 S. Main Street. The building was erected in 1918. Ingrassia's sign proclaims, "We give S & H green trading stamps."
A fuzzy photograph of a man sitting outside Ahlstrand Meat Market,102 7th Street, date unknown.
H. F. Norris' Art Store, 221 E. State Street, is underneath the awning that proclaims G. W. Patrick Wallpaper. The building itself is labeled, "Carl Stromberg, Artistic Interior Decorating." A laundry is to the left, and the front wheel of a wagon…
The storefront of H. F. Norris' Art Store, 221 E. State Street, is shown with two bicycles on the curb of the brick roadway at both sides of the photograph. Mural painting is advertised on the building to the right of Norris'.
A young man in an apron stands outside H. F. Norris' Art Store located at 221 E. State Street.
Next to G. W. Patrick Wallpaper is H. F. Norris' Art Store at 221 E. State Street. Note the bicycle's front tire in the far left foreground.
A man in a suit and bowler hat stands in an open doorway next to H. F. Norris' Art Store, 221 E. State Street, with a dog at his feet and a bicycle leaning to the left.
This black and white photograph depicts the storefront of H. F. Norris' Art Store, 221 E. State Street, with "Norris Art Shop" on the awning.
This shot looks in at the photographs displayed in the window of H. F. Norris' Art Store at 221 E. State Street. A figure, perhaps wearing a military cap, is seen reflected in the glass (the photographer?) as well as buildings across the street, one…
The sign for Anderson's Garage, 123 S. 1st Street, advertises "General Repairing, Car Washing, & Storage." Three men stand by a towtruck hauling a wrecked automobile. Johnson Pen Co. can be seen to the right.
The sign on this expansive building at the corner of E. State and 3rd streets touts, "Trade with Hess and pay less," advising viewers to "watch the newspapers for date of opening." Horse-drawn wagons and pedestrians can be seen in the street and on…
This grainy photograph depicts five employees with aprons (three men and two women) outside B. J. Bartlett Groceries at 902 Grant Avenue. The awning proclaims "Bartlett & Skinner." Baskets on the store's porch display fruits and vegetables. A…
A color photograph showing the corner building that was the Forest City National Bank at 401-403 West State Street.
This black and white photograph depicts the Auburndale Cash Grocery at 1436 N. Main Street. Several people pose outside the building and signs advertising products are displayed on the store's front, particularly for Old Dutch Cleanser. For an…
A black and white photograph showing the storefront and display windows of Masters Shoes at 221 S. Main Street, touting "Our highest price $4.90, many less."
With a bicycle in front, a man stands in the doorway of the expansive Bedwell & Herrick Coal Company at 202 E. State Street, which offered wood, coke, and charcoal for sale.
This black and white photograph shows the Auburndale Cash Grocery, 1436 N. Main Street, from across Main Street. Several people pose outside the building and signs advertising products are displayed on the store's front, particularly for Old Dutch…
A group of men and women in formal business attire pose on the steps of the Emerson Manufacturing Company office at 601 S. Main Street. Railroad boxcars can be seen to the left.
This black and white photograph shows a blacksmith shop in Harlem, Illinois that was converted into a garage and store.
Four people pose outside the "Giant" barber and tobacco shop, which also served as a residence, at 1616 W. State Street. A giant barber pole is on the extreme left of the porch.
With a crane in the street and workers atop scaffolding, this black and white photograph shows remodeling of the D. J. Stewart and Company facade at 115 S. Main Street. For additional views, see photos 78.41.8, 78.41.6, and 78.41.9b.
With a crane in the street and workers atop scaffolding, this black and white photograph shows renovations being done to the D. J. Stewart and Company building at 115 S. Main Street. For additional views, see photos 78.41.8 and 78.41.6.
Full frontal view of the D. J. Stewart and Company building, 115 S. Main Street, erected in 1890. For a depiction of later alterations, see photo 78.41.6.
This black and white photograph shows the D. J. Stewart building, 115 S. Main Street, in downtown Rockford. Duncan James Men's Wear occupies the corner.
A black and white photograph depicting the D. J. Stewart and Company building, 115 S. Main Street, in downtown Rockford, with its three-arched entranceways.
A view depicting a residence, 729 E. Jeffereson Street at E. 5th Street. The sign for the Hotel Faust, on E. State Street, is visible to the far left. The back of the photograph bears a label for Third Securities Corporation (Real Estate, Loans,…
This black and white photograph shows the small brick building that housed the Rockford Lumber & Fuel Company, promoting wood and coal for sale. Two gentlemen dressed in bowler hats and bowties stand outside. The business was located at 204-205 E.…
This black and white photograph depicts the Manufacturers National Bank building, 427-429 E. State Street, which later became City Hall (now 425 E. State). For additional views, see photos 2009.37.37 and 2009.37.38.
This complex on Windsor Road in Loves Park, Illinois (just to the north of Rockford proper) includes the Harlem Village School, a blacksmith shop, and a homestead. Notice the wagon and buggy as well as snow on the ground.
A black and white photograph showing the two-story residential-looking building that housed Fabrick's Store in Loves Park.
A large group of men and women in business attire pose outside the offices of the Security Insurance Company of New Haven, Connecticut, located at 227 N. Wyman Street. This later become Blue Cross.
A large group of men and women, the employees of Wilson Electric Company, stand in front of the business located at 113 S. Madison Street (the address numbers are seen on the white post behind the posed group although the photograph is reversed).
A color photograph showing the Rockcote Paint company buildings, 200 Sayre Street, as well as the company's water tower.
A close-up view of Rockcote Paint company's water tower. The company is located at 200 Sayre Street. For another depiction, see photo 2014.60.1.
A black and white photograph looking skyward at the Rockcote Paint water tower behind the company building located at 200 Sayre Street.
A completed pipe flume is in place for supplying emergency water. For a view from the opposite direction, see photo 2012.16.8.
Fordham Dam on the Rock River.
A photograph depicting a portion of the Fordham Dam on the Rock River
This photograph, looking across N. Main Street, depicts the west facade of the Sears store under construction. Note the Sears Roebuck sign in front of the bare trees to the left of the building.