Business Exteriors, 19th Century, Rockford, Illinois

Title

Business Exteriors, 19th Century, Rockford, Illinois

Description

A collection of photographs depicting business exteriors within the Rockford, Illinois area in the nineteenth century. The majority of the scenes fall between 1850-1890.

Date

1848-1899

Collection Items

Angelmire Boot and Shoe Company.
A photograph of Angelmire Boot & Shoe Co., established in 1870, in the basement of 1104 Main Street. Angelmire was in the W. R. McDannell Drugs building. The black boot on the sidewalk in front of the establishment advertises the footwear, reading…

R. Trigg Monument.
Black and white photograph of the R.Trigg Monument business, located at 114 South First Street. Several tall marble monuments are displayed in front of the building. Next door is Hakelier Photographic Studio, with photographs in the windows and a…

Rockford Insurance Company.
A very sepia-toned and stained photograph showing the Rockford Insurance Company at the southeast corner of West State and Main Streets.

Gazette Building.
This is a reproduction photograph of the Gazette Office building at the northwest corner of West State and Main Streets, showing pedestrians on the sidewalk and horse-drawn wagons in the dirt street.

J. Beale & Brother's.
This photograph appears to be the same as photo 91.135.6b except that its tone is lighter, it is a larger size, and the picture is in better condition. Notice the wispy figures far left and far right.

J. Beale & Brother's.
This sepia-tone photograph of the J. Beale and Brother's store depicts two unidentified men standing in the doorway of the business located at 406 East State Street. Also see photo 91.135.6a.

Nordstrom Millinery Store.
A photograph of Nordstrom Millinery Store, displaying its vast array of fashionable women's hats. At this time, Nordstrom's was located at 114 West State Street. Also see photo 88.122.375.

Second Bank.
This photograph is part of a collection of mounted book or newspaper photos. This photo depicts the Second National Bank. The building was erected about 1843 at the southeast corner of West State and Main Streets. The bank itself was established in…

Porter's Corner.
This photograph is part of a collection of mounted book or newspaper photos. This photo shows Porter's Corner at 308 West State Street, a corner where, for many years, a drug store stood, later to be replaced by D. J. Stewart's and Stewart Square.

Brown's Hall.
This photograph is part of a collection of mounted book or newspaper photos. The street scene in this photo depicts West State Street showing Brown's Hall under construction in about 1855. Notice "Central Drugstore" in the lower right portion.

Main Street.
This photograph is part of a collection of mounted book or newspaper photos. This photo shows Main Street looking north from State Street.

First Bank.
This photograph is part of a collection of mounted book or newspaper photos. This photo depicts the First Bank, which opened in 1848 on West State Street.

Knitting Mill.
This photograph is part of a collection of mounted book or newspaper photos. This photo is labeled as displaying an "early knitting mill."

Peoples Bank.
The Peoples Bank is located in the building to the left in this photograph at S. Main and Chestnut Streets. The Brown Building is to the right.

Wheat Photography.
Men and boys stand and sit in front of and on a decorated horse-drawn wagon in downtown Rockford at 107 N. Church Street. The banner seems to be touting a local newspaper. A sign reading "Wheat" is on the corner of the building in the background to…

Nordstrom.
This photograph shows a man standing outside the entrance to Nordstrom, apparently a millinery displaying women's hats, located at 108 S. Main Street. Also see photo 88.122.374.

Gas Holder.
On the back of this photograph it states that this is a "view of Rockford looking southeast from the new Gas Holder on S. Avon Street." A gas holder, or gasometer, is described as a large container in which natural gas or town gas is stored near…

Eckholm Hats.
Photograph depicting Eckholm Hats at 503 E. State Street. This millinery shop was owned and operated by the Eckholm sisters, Ester M. and Sophie T. The woman standing in the doorway is probably one of the sisters but is unidentified.

S.N.D.S. Mullin Dry Goods and Groceries.
Several people (men and boys) stand on the porch and sit on the steps of the S. N. D. S. Mullin Dry Goods and Groceries. The building that it occupies is listed as being built in 1894.

Blomberg and Swenson Bakers.
Six individuals wearing aprons and one young boy stand outside the Blomberg & Swenson bakery shop located at 603 7th Street. Another man stands in the street next to the horse-drawn bakery wagon.

Harlem General Store and Post Office.
Photograph of Harlem General Store & Post Office. Mother & grandmother Swarthout are on the second-story landing. "Aunt Hallie" (Mrs. Frederick Hart) and Harold Hart are in the buggy while grandfather Isaac Swarthout stands beside them. "1896" is…

W. J. Swits  Grocer.
Three unidentified people (one woman and two men) in front of the W. J. Swits Grocers' store at 517 East State Street.

Andrew Wire Works/Washburn Co.
This photograph depicts the employees of Andrew Wire Works at 1802 Preston Street. Earl Sodergren is identified as first on the left in the top row. A notation on the back of the photo indicates that the Wire Works later became Washburn Co.

John R. Porter & Co. Drugstore.
Six men stand in the doorway of the business, identified as (right to left): A. Collins; M. Barrett; J.R. Porter; R.C. Rowland; Samuel Norton; H.C. Porter. On the doorway to the right is a sign that reads "Doctor Chings," which is probably Doctor…
View all 24 items

Social Bookmarking